The Commercial District Advisor, in partnership with LISC MetroEdge, is still accepting nominations for the ‘Best Chains on Main,’ a nationwide competition that seeks to recognize those chain (and chain franchise) businesses that are making their urban business districts better places. Not only do they provide excellent service and maintain clean and attractive stores, storefronts and merchandise displays, the ‘Best Chains on Main’ help other businesses by attracting customers and contributing positively to the overall shopping environment. These quality businesses have a strong positive influence on how their neighborhoods are perceived, how safe people feel, and whether residents choose to spend their dollars locally. In particular, we are seeking chains that do not shy away from investing in more challenged business districts that other retailers typically avoid. These stores have a ‘chain effect’ on the neighborhoods they serve and help form the foundation of healthy and thriving commercial districts nationwide.
Help us Find and Recognize Great Businesses!
Nominated businesses will be judged on the following criteria: Exterior Appearance, Interior Appearance, Customer Service, Willingness to Locate in Low- and Moderate-Income Communities, and Donation to Local Causes. Nominations for both smaller regional chains as well as national chains are welcome. Franchise chains are also eligible. To be nominated, a store must have at least two locations.
To nominate a business, simply click here! For your nomination to be complete, you must also submit two or more pictures of the business that show it at its ‘Best.’ Photos can be sent to us at email@example.com with the subject line, ‘Best Chains Contest Photos.’ Nominations will be accepted until Wednesday, December 1st.
A Top Notch Panel of Judges
Submissions will be judged by an expert panel of retail, real estate, design, and economic development professionals, including:
- Cynthia Stewart, Director of Community and Government Relations at the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), the global trade association for the shopping center industry.
- David Bodamer, Editor-in-Chief of Retail Traffic, the nation’s leading business-to-business publication on retail real estate trends.
- Jeffrey Finkle, President and CEO of the International Economic Development Council, the world’s largest membership organization serving the economic development profession.
- Ken Nisch, Chairman of JGA, one of the nation’s leading retail design, brand strategy, and architectural firms.
- David Feehan, President & CEO of Civitas Consultants, former President of the International Downtown Association (IDA), and editor of “Making Downtowns Work.”
- Joe Getz, Principal of JGSC Group, downtown retail consultants.
- Jake Cowan, Business Manager at LISC MetroEdge, the nation’s pioneering urban market research firm located at the Local Initiatives Support Corporation.